Research review: Alterations to penile and prostatic tissue associated with finasteride and dutasteride treatment
Simple summary: Numerous studies have shown that treatment with finasteride and dutasteride can change the size, tissue composition and function of the prostate and penis. In the prostate, treatment with finasteride or dutasteride is linked to: reduced size and weight; tissue atrophy; fewer blood microvessels; and decreases in substances involved in erectile function and maintenance Read more
Adverse events affecting reproductive anatomy and sexual function in younger men who took finasteride
Summary This post documents adverse events (AEs) of finasteride affecting male reproductive anatomy and sexual function in men age 18–40, which were reported to US FDA and downloaded from the Federal Adverse Event Reporting System Public Dashboard. The data range is January 1, 2000 to December 31, 2020. This shows AEs assigned to categories which Read more
This post covers researchers who have published at least three papers on adverse effects of finasteride and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors when taken as a treatment for hair loss, typically by younger men. Collectively, this group has published more than 60 papers on this topic. Keep in mind these caveats: This list does not represent all Read more
This site describes adverse experiences which some may find disturbing. See the Reader advisory.
Places to start
- Thinking about taking finasteride for hair loss? See Weighing the risks.
- For a historical perspective, see the finasteride timeline which starts with a study in Dominican Republic in the early 1970s.
- A research briefing highlights findings from two recent systematic reviews/meta-analyses.
- The research bibliography gathers hundreds of papers on adverse effects of finasteride and other 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. See also Research by symptom, Systematic reviews & meta-analyses and Related research.
- Firsthand experiences of finasteride — Volume IV: FOIA edition
- Adverse events reported to FDA, 2018–2020
- A history of changes to the Propecia label
- ‘Safe and well-tolerated’: Arguments used to discredit reports of persistent adverse effects
- Commentary: Finding the occasion to talk about persistent adverse effects of finasteride
- Research: Adverse effects of finasteride on semen, sperm and fertility
- Research on post-finasteride syndrome
Adverse effects Adverse event reports Animal studies Anxiety Bias Bibliography Bibliometrics Denial and skepticism Dermatologists Doctor views Drug label FDA Firsthand reports FOIA requests Hair transplant surgeons Merck News Nocebo effect Penile abnormalities Persistent adverse effects Pharmacovigilance Post-finasteride syndrome Psychological adverse effects Recoveries Research Researchers Sexual dysfunction Shame and stigma Sleep disturbances Social attitudes SSRIs Tinnitus