By arrangement with the publisher, full text of the following paper is available: Howell S, Song W, Pastuszak A, Khera M. Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients. J Sex Med. 2021;18(9):1479–1490. doi:10.1016/j.jsxm.2021.05.009. PMID: 34247957. Abstract Background An organic etiology underpinning post-finasteride syndrome, a constellation of persistent sexual, neuropsychiatric, and somatic symptoms reported by men Read more
A YouTube user comments: “The first step to a solution is admitting there is a problem and there are so many doctors out there who don’t know this exists or don’t want to know.” Read more
The Bald Truth is a radio show about hair loss which, according to its website, “has been advising listeners on issues ranging from building self confidence and creating sexual attraction to overcoming…the modern man’s Achilles’ heel, male pattern baldness.” Host Spencer Kobren founded the show over 19 years ago, and there are over 2,200 episodes Read more
This site describes adverse experiences which some may find disturbing. See the Reader advisory.
Places to start
- Thinking about taking finasteride for hair loss? See drug information.
- For a historical perspective, see the finasteride timeline which starts with a study in Dominican Republic in the early 1970s.
- A research briefing highlights findings from two recent systematic reviews/meta-analyses.
- The research bibliography gathers hundreds of papers on adverse effects of finasteride and other 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. See also Research by symptom, Systematic reviews & meta-analyses and Related research.
- Firsthand experiences of finasteride — Volume IV: FOIA edition
- Adverse events reported to FDA, 2018–2020
- A history of changes to the Propecia label
- ‘Safe and well-tolerated’: Arguments used to discredit reports of persistent adverse effects
- Commentary: Finding the occasion to talk about persistent adverse effects of finasteride
- Research: Adverse effects of finasteride on semen, sperm and fertility
- Research on post-finasteride syndrome
Adverse effects Animal studies Anxiety Bias Denial and skepticism Dermatologists Doctor views Drug label FDA Firsthand reports FOIA requests Hair transplant surgeons Merck News Nocebo effect Persistent adverse effects Post-finasteride syndrome Psychological adverse effects Recoveries Research Sexual dysfunction Shame and stigma Sleep disturbances Social attitudes SSRIs Tinnitus