This site is published by a former user of finasteride who has lasting, life-changing symptoms since discontinuing finasteride more than five years ago.
I maintain this site to provide evidence and context for understanding adverse effects of finasteride as a treatment for hair loss in men 18–40. Multiple perspectives—clinical, scientific, regulatory, social and historical—are taken into account, because they all play a role. Different types of evidence are considered, from published research to first-person comments on Reddit. No one perspective or type of evidence is definitive. All evidence should be viewed carefully and critically in the context of the whole complex affair.
The bibliographies on this site include all relevant research found on the topic—including those that find null results and those that express skepticism about whether finasteride can cause persistent adverse effects. In other words, the bibliographies do not cherry-pick papers favorable to a particular conclusion. Read more background about the bibliographies here.
Finasteride reduces the availability of an androgen called dihydrotestosterone. Taking the drug can interfere with sexual function, psychological well-being and other aspects of the body and mind. Its adverse effects may be disturbing and considered socially unacceptable to discuss. This site includes research and firsthand reports on topics such as sexual dysfunction, abnormalities of the penis, semen abnormalities and psychological adverse experiences such as depression, anxiety, suicidality and suicide.
This site is concerned with adverse effects of finasteride for hair loss, especially when taken by men ages 18–40. This site is not concerned with the safety profile of finasteride for other indications, such as benign prostatic hyperplasia or prostate cancer prevention, typically taken by men 55 and older.
This site is published independently without any material benefits to me. Please note:
- I have not participated in litigation about Propecia or other forms of finasteride, and have no intention to do so in the future.
- I am not affiliated with any patient advocacy organization.
- I am not affiliated with any forum or other website related to finasteride or hair loss.
- I tweet at @FinasterideInfo.
- I pay all hosting costs, collect no revenue, and take no payments for managing the site.
- Research support: 1) I have financially supported the research program led by Dr. Roberto Cosimo Melcangi at University of Milan, Italy; 2) I am providing financial support to a clinician-scientist in the U.S. to assess the feasibility of a study of post-finasteride syndrome.
- I have no other interests or conflicts related to this matter to disclose.
finasteride.research [at] fastmail.com or @FinasterideInfo